Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:49:45 -0700
From:      Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux JRE 1.4 under linux compatibility only runs as root, 's tatf s' is culprit

> > > I know several other people have run into the problem where
> > > the (Linux) JDK or JRE 1.4 will only run as root.
> > > Tracing this with 'ktrace', the issue is a statfs call,
> > > which returns 'RESTART'. I don't see that errno listed on
> > > the man page for statfs, I guess it must come from the
> > > linux_statfs in compat/linux.
> > >
> > >  48927 java     CALL  statfs(0xbf1f)
> > >  48927 java     RET   statfs RESTART
> >
> > OK, after having found out that 'ktrace' isn't appropriate
> > for linux executables (use truss or linux_kdump), I found that
> > the culprit is actually:
> >
> > linux_sched_getscheduler(0xcb18)                 ERR#1 'Operation not
> > permitted'
> >
> > when root, this is permitted. When non-root, this is not-permitted.
> >
> > Suggestions? Is this a problem with the linux emulation? Or is
> > there a permissions difference between linux & freebsd here?
>
> It's a bug in -stable's permissions checking - it's somewhat
> over-zealous. The fix is reasonably trivial (I think pointers to this
> have appeared on -java a number of times).

Based on looking at the archives, this seems to be a commonly encountered
problem.  Should I submit a PR so that this can be fixed in STABLE, or are
there objections to this fix?

Thanks,
-jj

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate's form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how