Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:32:07 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating and displaying CMOS clock

Colleagues,

What's the command to update the CMOS clock to the time of the kernel
clock?

ntpd does a good job of keeping the accurate time in the kernel clock,
but from my experience, this time is not propagated to the CMOS clock
which lives its own life. As a result, there is a large time skew
everytime the box is rebooted, which prevents from Kerberos login
until the kernel clock is synchronized.

In other words, what's the FreeBSD equivalent of the Linux
"hwclock --systohc" command?

And no, contrary to popular belief, the correction of the CMOS clock
does not happen automatically in FreeBSD even if ntpd is running.

If there is a way to display the time of the CMOS (RTC) clock, I
would be interested to know too.

TIA.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN