Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 11:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, terry@lambert.org, dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu, clintm@ICSI.Net, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Which is to say, you turn on IP forwarding by default (which is illegal)
> and rewrite the packet source headers on the way in and out (which is
> also illegal).

> Writing a socks client that hooks to a tunnel driver on the machine
> that needs the masquerading is a better solution, and it doesn't
> require kernel hacks to get there (or source hacks for statically
> linked binaries, like normal socks does).  And it does it without
> violating the world.
>
> I guess you would need to write a tunnel client daemon (instead of
> putting in about twice as much work to write IP masquerading, as
> well as dragging the poor kernel into the mess).
>
> Seems like that would provide the same capability for less effort
> with fewer drabacks -- but would require an OS (like FreeBSD) with
> tunnel drivers to make it work.

And as I've said before, Sorry, I don't have the source to Win95, so I
can't do that.  I agree that masquerading isn't a fix-all, or even the
prefered method of handling this, but until Socks5 is to the point that
it can "socksify" programs that I don't have source for, without
interferring with regular operations, and do this under OS/2, Windows
3.X, NT, and Win95, then my choice is to run linux on our firewall and
use masquerading, or to spend a few weeks of time that I haven't got
figuring out how to proxy a bunch of non-standard services for apps that
I haven't got source for.