Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:35:45 -0700
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: draft article, for review

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:

As one of your "lurkers" (OK, so I'm rather new at this, and spend most of my
time reading things....eventually I'm sure I will get around to saying
something useful.....) (since I'm not on ScrollKeeper, I didn't put that in
the list; feel free to forward it as you feel appropriate (just let me know
if you did so))

> This is how the process works -- people find problems, fix them, and
> submit patches.  Sometimes the people finding the problem are already
> committers, but a lot of the time it's FreeBSD users.  And with the best
> will in the world, a PR with a patch is a hell of a lot easier for a
> committer to deal with than a message saying that something needs
> fixing.

This is exactly the power behind Open Source Software, and why, eventually,
it will win out over expensive commercial software, at least for a lot
of(most?) things:  It give the end-user Power over what happens.  Don't like
the way something works?  great, fix it.  Think something needs better docs?
Great, let's sit down, bang--I mean, put--our heads together, and see what we
can come up with.  Sure, in a lot of cases, people don't (especially at
first) have the knowledge to be able to put something together like that, or
to write their own patch, but with some handholding, most people can learn.
What a single person (or even a small group of people) can't do alone, when
you have a group of thousands, it is a lot easier to get stuff fixed.

Face it, there are a lot of documentation holes in the stuff coming out of
Redmond these days, but when was the last time you heard about a user writing
his own doucmentaton, and having it become part of the system?

> [ For example, the fact that sysinstall doesn't know about the
>   new documentation packages yet -- I know this is a problem, as do
>   people following this mailing list.  But unless someone else steps up
>   to the plate (anyone!) with patches, the problem's going to have to
>   wait until I've got the requisite 12 clear hours to sit down with the
>   sysinstall code and write the glue. ]

Just a suggestion, (and I don't know much about how sysinstall is written, so
feel free to smack me upside the head if I am out of line), but wouldn't it
make sense to make sysinstall sufficiently modular that all you have to do is
provide it with a "table of contents" file from which to generate menus?
(especially in the Docs section).  This would greatly simplify the changing
of things to reflect new packages, changes, or additions.  Sort of like the
".ini" files scattred around any WinDoze hard drive ([Menu_Option]\n
path/to/file1:installed/path/for/file1\n
path/to/file2:/path/to/install/file2\n .... for all files related to
Menu_Option); all you have to do is change a couple of lines in a text file
(and even I can do that!) and the changes are there.

I realize that changing sysinstall in this manner is a non-trivial task; but
once changed (or once that part (ie, the docs section) is changed) it makes
future revisions much easier.  Since the assumption is that sysinstall will
probably be around for a while, I would argue that long-term you will have a
net savings of time.

my $0.02 (or less..) worth

mike