Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 23:39:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        chrisj@outcast.media-net.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oddity with time

Doug White wrote,
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Chris wrote:
>
> > this isn't really a problem but i was just wonder what would couse
> > something like this.
> >

> > [/home/chrisj]> uptime
> >  5:44PM  up 46 mins, 6 users, load averages: 1.26, 0.90, 0.48
> >

> > [/home/chrisj]> w
> >
> > [-- snip --]
> > chrisj  p1 :0   5:32PM 1day  tail -f /var/log/messages
> > [-- snip --]
> >

> > how is it that there is a idle time of 1day when the systems only been up
> > for 46 mins?
>
> Stuck on a login?

No, I think there is some weirdness associated with starting X going
on. I have reported this before. Today, the incosistency is not too
great, but it is inconsistent,

% w
11:33PM  up 51 days, 29 mins, 6 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.10, 0.18
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
cjc      v0       -                Wed06PM  4:48 xinit /usr/home/cjc/.xinitrc -
cjc      p0       :0.0             Wed06PM     - elm
cjc      p1       :0.0             Wed06PM  6:47 top
.
.
.

Notice that I have only logged into my machine at ttyv0 4:48 ago and
then started X. X in turn spawns an xterm with top in it... somehow
top has been running two hours longer than the X process it is running
within.

My top _always_ has nonsense idle times. More typical is something
like 20 hours idle when X has only been up one or two. This happens on
both of my 2.2.8 machines with X and happened back when they were
2.2.7.