Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 05:32:26 -0800
From:      John Beck <sendmail+jbeck@sendmail.org>
To:        admin@wholesalehosting.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, sendmail-questions@sendmail.org
Subject:   Re: I must be stupid

Apparently we <sendmail-questions@sendmail.org> were Bcc:d.  Please be
explicit in the future.

admin> All i want is to create custom aliass for non local users (much like
admin> virtusertable) but i want them to exist in the users directory so they
admin> can add and remove them.

admin> When i was with webaxxcess/online marketing.. we did this with a
admin> .redirect file which looked like this.

admin> $: cat .redirect default diva@diva.com bob bob@mindspring.com dave
admin> dave@mail.com

admin> .forward will NOT do, because diva does not want everyone to get
admin> everyones mail. Those emails to dave@diva.com need to be bounced
admin> to dave@mindspring.com Just like they would be if these redirects
admin> were in the virtusertable. So in super lamer terms.. i need local
admin> virtusertables for all my users so they can do it themselves on the
admin> fly.

Create a directory, say /etc/mail/domains.  In there, create a file for
each user.  The files can be sym-links to files in the users's directories
if necessary.  Each user owns his/her file.  Then cat the files together
into /etc/mail/virtusertable (or whatever path you use), and run makemap
on that.  I have a virtual hosting site that does exactly this (with a
cron job that checks hourly if any of the users' files changed, and does
the cat and makemap if so), and it works just fine.