Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:57:08 +0800 (CST)
From:      Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
To:        Armin Pirkovitsch <a.pirko@inode.at>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to start KDE and Gnome

Hi Armin,

Tks for your advice.

--- Armin Pirkovitsch <a.pirko@inode.at> wrote:

> Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan Chen,
> >
> > Tks for your advice.
> >

> >> If you're going to use "startx" you will need a ${HOME}/.xinitrc
> with
> >> the following contents:
> >>
> >> 	#/bin/sh
> >> 	startkde
> >>
> >> Make sure the file is 755 permissions. This will start up X with
> KDE.
> >> I would suggest you configure /etc/ttys to start up KDM instead of
> >> using "startx"
> >
> > Your advice worked here starting KDE.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is running;
> >
> > $ startkde
> > will start K desktop
> >
> > $ gnome-session
> > will start Gnome desktop
>
> This won't work since those are just the windowmanagers - you need an
> server to start them.
> However you could solve it with some small scripts:
>

> start-gnome.sh:
> ----------------
> #!/bin/sh
> rm -f ~/.xinitrc
> ln -s ~/.xinitrc_gnome ~/.xinitrc
> startx
>
> ----------------
> ################
> .xinitrc_gnome:
> ----------------
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
>
> ----------------
> ################
> start-kde.sh:
> ----------------
> #!/bin/sh
> rm -f ~/.xinitrc
> ln -s ~/.xinitrc_kde ~/.xinitrc
> startx
>
> ----------------
> ################
> .xinitrc_gnome:
> ----------------
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
>
> ----------------
>
> make sure all of these files are executable (chmod 755 <file>)
> the .xinitrc* files have to be in your home directory -
> start-gnome.sh
> and start-kde.sh in any directory in your PATH (eg. ~/bin if it's
> only
> for one user)

Something strange happened here.  If copying "xorg.conf.new" on
/etc/X11/ and renaming it as "xorg.conf". I can't start X, the HD only
turning.  Now I don't have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I can start KDE (not
Gnome).  I don't know which "xorg.conf" I am now running.

I can toggle resolution to increase font size on browser witn
[Ctrl]+[Alt]+[+]

B.R.
satimis