Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:36:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      be_works_us <be_works_us@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386/119491: [i386] [patch] [request] padlock enable for new VIA C7 (CentaurHauls) cpuid 0x6d0

Dear John.

>I couldn't find any docs that explain the CPUID
>steppings for VIA CPUs, do you know of any?

You can download  programming_guide.pdf
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/padlock/developercenter.jsp
(http://www.via.com.tw/en/downloads/whitepapers/initiatives/padlock/programming_guide.pdf)

There is it in VIA's CPUID table in the Page 4 nat the PDF.
Nehemiah (C5XL)  :  Type 0 , Family 6, Stepping 3
Nehemiah (C5P)  :   Type 0 , Family 6, Stepping 8-F
Ruth (C5Q)  :   Type 0 , Family 6, Stepping 1-7
 Esther (C5J) :   Type 0 , Family 6, Stepping 8-F

These CPU cannot distinguish it only in CPUID.
The difference of Nehemiah and Esther is CPU featuer flags(SSE2, SSE3, NX bit...).
(umm... patch was not better for CPU name... )

>Seemingly this should be for 'c7' rather than 'c5j'?  We use 'c3' for the VIA
>C3 Nehemiah rather than 'c5p'.

I leave the matter of the "name" to  you.
If these cpu features(SSE2 and SSE3) becomes effective(bsd.cpu.mk)
and padlock is enabled(initcpu.c),
I do not have any problem.

 The "name" is very very small problem(or not problem).
sorry.