Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 01:18:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        malte@webmore.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Windows

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>At 13:40 26.03.98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Every student has an e-mail account on the FreeBSD box.  Which means that
>>to check their mail, they either dial in from home, or else they sit down
>>at one of the PCs in our lab, and telnet in to the server from Win95.

>Puuhhh this is really painfull for just checking and reading email. Install
>qpopper or something else with POP3-support from the ports and let the
>Win95-user fetch their email with a Win95-client that supports POP3 (like
>Eudora or Communicator). Have also a look at poppassd for changing
>email-account-passwords.

>For all other points you mentioned have a look at samba. I am sharing my
>printer and filesystems with Win95-boxes over the lan with samba.

As a bunch of other folks mentioned, samba allows almost all of this
stuff.  The only thing that it probably doesn't do out of the box are
print quotas or the like, but I suspect someone can hack that together
without too much difficulty.

Doing POP3 support is possible, but somewhat messy due to the fact
that many pop3 clients like to leave copies of the mail they've just
downloaded on the client side, which is probably not the right thing
to do in a public lab.

Of course, if everyone who logs in gets a bit of disk space on the BSD
server and this space is where they store their mail...
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/