Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:20:36 -0800
From:      darlene@water.rsc.raytheon.com (Darlene Choontanom X45478 BSYS)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        darlene@water.rsc.raytheon.com
Subject:   "NIS netgroup support not configured" on remote root login?

Hello--

Apologies in advance if this has been brought up before, but I can't find
anything recent in Google and searching the archives on the FreeBSD site
isn't turning up anything useful.

I'm getting scrolling messages on the console and in /var/log/messages
on my FreeBSD 4.4 box whenever root remote logs in via telnet, rsh, or
ssh stating:

Feb 18 11:34:12 foo login: NIS netgroup support not configured
Feb 18 11:34:12 foo login: NIS netgroup support not configured
Feb 18 11:34:12 foo login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyp2 FROM bar
Feb 18 17:33:21 foo sshd[23876]: NIS netgroup support not configured
Feb 18 17:33:30 foo last message repeated 7 times
Feb 18 17:37:51 foo sshd[23897]: NIS netgroup support not configured
Feb 18 17:37:52 foo last message repeated 3 times
Feb 18 17:41:15 foo sshd[23907]: NIS netgroup support not configured
Feb 18 17:41:17 foo last message repeated 3 times

I have root logins restricted in /etc/login.access and in ~root/.rhosts
to a specific NIS netgroup populated with trusted hostnames.  However,
I can run a ypcat on the netgroups map with no problems, and NFS export-
ing to/from the same netgroup has never been a problem.

This machine is currently an NIS client bound to my Solaris (2.6) master
server.  I've also tried to make it a slave in case there may've been an
NIS client/server incompatibility issue, but that hasn't had any effect
on the errors.

I've also tried to create /etc/netgroup with a "+" in it, but that hasn't
done anything, either.

a)  What can be generating this, and
b)  How can I make it go away?

thanks!