Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:50:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Bret Ford" <bford@uop.cs.uop.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate drive lockup

> Greetings,
>
> I'm using a recent (around Sep 29) -current world with a kernel
> compiled fresh today.  I'm having some "lock-up" problems with
> my Seagate 9gb drive.  This occurs whenever the disk gets used with
> some intensity (eg. rm -fr obj or most 'cvsup's). I will get a couple
> iterations of kernel messages like these:
>
> Oct  8 07:51:31 plover /kernel.test: (da1:ahc0:0:3:0): SCB 0xc - timed out
> in dataout phase, SCSISIGI == 0x4
> Oct  8 07:51:31 plover /kernel.test: SEQADDR == 0x10d
> Oct  8 07:51:31 plover /kernel.test: SSTAT1 == 0x2

There is something wrong with your cable, termination or both.
Either the drive or the controller missed a REQ or ACK on the bus,
which caused this hang.  Remove any kinks from your cable.  Route
it away from the power supply and processor.  Use a disk drive or
external active (or force perfect) terminator on the bus.

It may well be that you haven't seen this problem before upgrading
to CAM.  CAM now uses SCB paging by default whereas the older
drivers only did so if you enabled an option.  This combined with
other characteristics of CAM allow for much higher device and bus
loads than before.

--
Justin