Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 13:34:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What I'd *really like* for 2.0.5y

Peter Dufault writes:

> The verbose flag could become bit patterns.  One bit can be "log
> failures".  And we could zap the kernel or the boot block
> to keep the flag settings (zapping boot block is nice since you could
> zap in your boot file name as well, including a "no pause before boot"
> zap).

Maybe there is a way to actually write a default boot prompt command
line, so that it is humanly easy to record without the need of
consulting a bit chart and a calculator or a special utility?

	defaultboot "kernel -v"

This would allow you to include a path to a different kernel and
arguments -- perhaps if you're doing a bunch of testing and need a
non-standard way of booting up.  And, of course, it would also let you
control the verbose mode (and any other modes) as you see fit.

I suggest that the boot code display this before the boot prompt so
that you know what will happen if you don't intervene and the bootcode
times out waiting for input.  If it times out, it uses the default
boot command line.