Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:43:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: Re: name cache size

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Sitaram Iyer <ssiyer@cs.rice.edu> [000702 14:15] wrote:
> > Thus, Alfred Perlstein wrote...
> > > sysctl -w vfs.vmiodirenable=1
> >
> > thanks, that worked.
>
> I would like to make this the default in 5.0 so the bugs (if any) can
> be worked out.
>
>   sysctl -w vfs.vmiodirenable=1
>
> I'm aware of the bloat of the dirsize for the default case, and it's a
> bogus argument, we need to be able to cache correctly for performance
> reasons.

The current default is for performance reasons.  It may be the wrong
space-time tradeoff for systems with enough memory, but I think this is
only because caching is poorly implemented in the non-VMIO case (we
discard B_MALLOC'ed blocks too soon because we don't invest enough in
resources to map them).

Bruce