Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:32:45 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        alexus <freebsd-questions@alexus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: version (uname -a)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 at 22:09:21 -0400, alexus wrote:
> hi
>
> i have two questions..
>
> 1. Since 4.6.2 came out i did make world make kernel and mergemaster
> and when i do uname -a i see 4.6-STABLE, should I see 4.6.2-STABLE?

Because you used RELENG_4 as the tag in your supfile and not the tag for
4.6.2-RELEASE.

> 1a. Would i see 4.6.2-RELEASE if i install from CD?

If you have a 4.6.2-RELEASE CD.

> 2. When I do uname -a I get this
>
> # uname -a FreeBSD some.host.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #20:
> Sat Aug 17 01:40:59 EDT 2002
> root@some.host.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386 #
>
> that number after -STABLE, What does it mean and how can I reset it?

That's the number of times you've compiled your kernel without cleaning
the old config directory up first.  The way to clean it depends on how
you're compiling your kernel.  Also, adding to and recompiling GENERIC
probably isn't the best idea.  Please read the kernel compilation
section of the handbook.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@soupnazi.org>                            jim@FreeBSD.org