Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   restore says "Changing volumes on pipe input?" -- why??!?

Had a disk drive go flaky; got a replacement.

Took flaky drive out; put replacement drive in.  Had just completed a
level 0 backup (dump, via amanda) of the filesystem.

Tried using amrestore first, then, when I got the message mentioned in
the Subject:, I copied the backup image onto a spare filesystem via dd,
and did:

	dd if=backup_image bs=32k | sudo restore -xvf -

and after the usual chatter about all the directories it's making, the
files it's restoring, and the symlinks it's creating, restore then says
the same thing I got from amrecover:

extract file ./pub/unix/FreeBSD/3.0-19980919-BETA/catpages/CHECKSUM.MD5
Changing volumes on pipe input?
abort? [yn] n
Changing volumes on pipe input?
abort? [yn] n
Changing volumes on pipe input?
abort? [yn] n
Changing volumes on pipe input?
abort? [yn] y
dump core? [yn] y
73702+0 records in
73702+0 records out
2415067136 bytes transferred in 1270.722299 secs (1900547 bytes/sec)
Abort

I'm in the process of making another copy of the backup image, without
the initial block (that amanda uses as a "header"), so I can just feed
the resulting file to restore directly (without going through a pipe).

The message is being issued inside a routine (within tape.c) where
restore seems to want to switch volumes, but I haven't a clue as to why
it might want to do that -- there was plenty of space on the tape (about
11.5 GB or so left out of 20 GB -- I've successfully written at least 10
GB).

Any ideas as to what I can do to get the data back?  Or how to prevent a
recurrence of this?

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621