Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 21:56:12 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        Jim <jameso@elwood.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSL

At 08:16 PM 5/5/1999 , Jim wrote:
>Quick question, I am new to Apache in general, and SSL totally. I was just
>wondering where the best place to start finding info as to the best way of
>getting a site up. From what I have seen, mod_ssl is only legal if it is
>used for non-commerical use, is there a better alternative? Any good How-To
>or any thing of the sort to give me a kick start?

I was also new to SSL a few weeks ago. I'm no lawyer and it's been a few
weeks since I read through the documentation, but...

I think the only hurdle to commercial use of mod_ssl was the inclusion of
rsaref, the RSA reference libraries used for some of OpenSSL's encryption
routines. I set up a server using mod_ssl for my place of work, and I
simply built the OpenSSL port without rsaref support (I made sure that
USA_RESIDENT was set to NO before running 'make').

Both the OpenSSL and mod_ssl web pages (www.openssl.org and www.modssl.org)
pages say that they're released under BSD-style license, so they're free
for commercial and noncommercial use.

I also built apache and mod_ssl by hand, by the way. I extracted apache and
mod_ssl from the distribution source tarballs. It's not really hard if you
follow the documentation.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441