Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 01:09:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, questions@freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   PCVT, cons25, and now X11
Message-ID:  <Pine.BSF.3.91.950912005858.12542C-100000@system1.indecent.com>
In-Reply-To: <199509120111.SAA14575@phaeton.artisoft.com>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > What's "bold" on a color screen?
> > Trick question?
> Yes.  8-).  The answer is "whatever you say it is"; setting the foreground
> high intensity bit under mono is the same as the blue bit under color.  I
> believe you can remap it (I have no Idea how, though).

Hmm.. Does anyone know how? :)

> > > > 2- The screen would constanly become garbled. I would be typing something 
> > > >    at the commandline and suddenly the cursor would just jump to the 
> > > >    other side of the screen. 
> > > What video card do you have; sounds like a non-linear VGA memory map?
> > I have a Cirrus Logic 5426/8(clgd5428) and that's what pcvt reports on 
> > bootup. 
> 8-|.  I have no idea how it knows that.

Because it probes the card and finds out that's what it is, just like X does?

> > > > 3- When the system boots up, everything is white on a red background. Not 
> > > >    necessarily a problem, but it looks strange. 
> > > Another attribute mapping.
> > > I'd say PCVT was under the impression that your card was a mono card; does
> > > it emulate one?  This could cause it to mis-probe the card.  You may want
> > > to look at the dmesg output for boot and see what probe messages it puts
> > > out to you.  Then contact the author for advice.
> > And who is that? :) A friend of mine is also running FreeBSD. He's having 
> > the same exact problems with PCVT.(though has a different video card) Is 
> > this really a problem, or is it just how it's SUPPOSED to act?
> Well, the attribute clear screen is how it's supposed to act; I'd argue
> a problem in ncurses or whatever program's screen handling code (I've
> seen the same thing under elm, myself).

Good possibility.. 

> The authors (according to the sources, which should be on your box too)
> are:

Thanks :)

Hmm.. I just noticed another problem, Netscape seems to think my delete 
and backspace keys are equilivent of the spacebar. The friend of mine I 
mentioned above told me that switching to PCVT fixes it, but I don't 
really care for PCVT because of its mishandling of the mapping with the 
colors and such. 

Any ideas? If PCVT can get the same visual functionality of cons25, then 
I'll switch, but if it's going to screw with the colors, then I'll just 
have to suffer with cons25. :/

Thanks,
Dave

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| David Anderson | Partek on IRC | partek@indecent.com | partek@youth.org  |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| "We do not have to resign our vision to what 'the world is really like'. |
| The roles of our past do not have to be the blueprint for our future. No |
| fear. No hate. No limits. Anything is possible." - Unknown               | 
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+





Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?Pine.BSF.3.91.950912005858.12542C-100000>