Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:11:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
Cc:        "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>, <irvine@sanbi.ac.za>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: KDE, sound, artsd and xmms

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Scott A. Moberly wrote:
> put:
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
> hw.snd.maxautovchans=4
>
> into /etc/sysctl.conf; attach arts to /dev/dsp0.1 and esd to /dev/dsp.2
> This leaves /dev/dsp0 -> /dev/dsp0.0 open for odd aplications that
> need direct access.  You could additionally attach nas to /dev/dsp0.3 if
> you are networking sound.
> Scott A. Moberly
> smoberly@karamazov.org
>
> Microsoft: "Where would you like to go to today"
> Linux: "Where would you like to go tomorrow"
> FreeBSD: "Hey,when are you guys going to catch up"

Apple: "Helloooo little one!  Here take my hand, and where shall we go?"

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 08:19:09AM +0000, Weston M. Price wrote:
> > Yeah, an extremely frustrating problem to say the least. I have used both
> > methods (ie the plugin and artsdsp) and have found that that artsdsp is the
> > most stable and effective way to get the two apps to work together on a
> > consistet basis. The plugin causes xmms at the drop of a dime. Until the
> > plugin gets fixed go with artsdsp.
> > Regards,
> > Weston
> >
> > On Wednesday 02 October 2002 11:59 am, Irvine Short wrote:
> > > Hey All - How do you guys get all the above to play together?
> > > I'd like to keep artsd going. At the moment I can get xmms to play by
> > > running artsdsp xmms.
> > >
> > > Is there a neater/better way? There's a plugin for xmms to talk directly
> > > to artsd but by all accounts it's old and buggy and not  in the ports
> > > subsystem.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions much appreciated.
> > > I'm running FreeBSD 4.7RX, KDE 3,03, and XMMS 1.2.7
> > > The sound card is an Ensoniq AudioPCI ESS1371
> Scott A. Moberly
> smoberly@karamazov.org
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> -- Henry Spencer

Wow!  I just searched the ports for xmms and saw crossfade and gdancer
plug-ins!  Does FreeAMP (too?) support these features, and a speed-up /
slow-down plugin such as the one Winamp for Windows supports (where the
vocals are unaffected)?!

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder