Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:44:52 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0 on new hardware and a few errors, should I be worried?

On Saturday 27 February 2010 8:28:48 pm Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've very recently finished installing 8.0-RELEASE on some new
> hardware and I noticed a few error messages that make me a bit uneasy.
> This is a snip from my dmesg:

> acpi0: <SMCI > on motherboard
> acpi0: [ITHREAD]
> acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
> acpi0: reservation of fee00000, 1000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
> acpi0: reservation of 100000, bf600000 (3) failed
>
> What do these mean and should I worry about it? The full DMESG can be
> viewed here: http://jago.pp.fi/temp/dmesg.txt

You can ignore them.  FreeBSD creates two psuedo-devices on x86 called apic0
and ram0.  Their sole job is to reserve the memory ranges used by APIC devices
and system RAM to prevent those address ranges being reused by anything else
(such as PCI BARs).  Many systems also reserve those ranges as a system
resource via ACPI (or PnPBIOS for the non-ACPI case).  What is happening is
that the ACPI system resource driver isn't able to reserve these ranges
because they are already claimed by apic0 and ram0.  The important point is
that some device claims them.  It doesn't really matter which one does.

--
John Baldwin