Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:18:23 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        kde@lists.netcentral.net, Otto Bruggeman <bruggie@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 2.2beta: pthread_ for qt & meaning of the various tarballs

Thank you very much for you kind assistance.

I have a few "meta-questions," if you (or somebody else) would further
indulge me.

On Friday 13 July 2001 06:01, Otto Bruggeman wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> > I'm trying to build KDE 2.2beta in the hopes that it will address a
> > number of issues I have with 2.1.  (I've posted about almost all of them,
> > although there's been no response to most of the postings so perhaps few
> > people saw them.)
> >
> > Anyway, I fear I'm finding it just as painful as I'd remembered building
> > KDE to be.
> >
> > But a couple of specific issues:
> >
> > First, I grabbed the following packages:
> >
> > kde-i18n-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> internationalisation (lots of other languages)
>
> > kdeaddons-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some nice extra stuff, not needed
>
> > kdeadmin-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some administrative packages, not needed
>
> > kdeartwork-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some nice desktop wallpapers, some extra themes and some icon themes
>
> > kdebase-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> The base package as the name implies
>
> > kdebindings-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> some bindings to other languages, such as kde<->python, perl<->kde.
>
> > kdegames-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some games
>
> > kdegraphics-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some programs tgat have to do with graphics, a ps/pdf viewer and more
>
> > kdelibs-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> The libraries where kde is based on
>
> > kdemultimedia-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Some programs to play music with.
>
> > kdenetwork-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Network related programs, irc client, newsticker, mail and news program
> and more
>
> > kdepim-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> pim programs
>
> > kdesdk-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> A tool for translators and a some handy developer scripts, including one
> to automatically build kde from source, you might want to try that out.

Cool!  (Of course a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem the first time, but
definately something to keep in mind for the future.)

> > kdetoys-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Toy programs, mouse distance meter, amor, kworldwatch and more...
>
> > kdeutils-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> Utility programs
>
> > kdevelop-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> A IDE
>
> > kdoc-2.2beta1.tar.bz2*
>
> A tool to extract info from the header files and make nice documentation
> of the kde API with.
>
> > qt-x11-2.3.1.tar.gz
>
> The widgetset used by KDE

That was the one that I knew; some of the others I guessed by the name.
Are the other documented someplace that I missed?  I would have expected to
ast least find descriptions near the tops of the READMEs, but I didn't see
them there.  Perhaps I'm being dense, but was there someplace obvious that
explained this all that I missed?

==> Update: I found this info on the KDE website earlier today though I'm
having trouble finding it again now (I was going to post the URL).

(Incidently, as soon as I have all of this *working*, I fully intend to
volunteer to contribute to the KDE project by helping with documentation,
which is the clear weak spot for KDE now, unless I'm missing some doc
someplace.  I promise not to help with spelling, though.)

> > My first question is this:
> > Which of these do I need?  Is the purpose of each package described
> > someplace?
>
> Well the order of which is to build this stuff is all nicely described on
> the website

Yes, I found that the second time I looked, so I know that trying to build
kdebase was just stupid, but . . .

>  but for the lazy ones:
>
> Dont forget you need libxml2-2.3.14 and libaudiofile-0.2.1 installed.

I didn't find this information anyplace.  Where should I have been looking?

> qt
> kdelibs
> kdebase (now you have a functional kde)

This much *is* on the website.

> Optional:
> all other packages
>
> > My second question is:
> > Where are are pthread_ functions defined?
>
> In the libpthread.so library. It appears you dont have it installed, do
> so.

This part is pretty confusing for us FreeBSDers.

See, the only place in FreeBSD to get a libpthread is from the port called
the "linuxthreads" port; and the info there says that the support is now
integrated into the gnu C library (glibc)

I guess that this is as much of a FreeBSD issue than a KDE issue, but I'm a
bit confused about whether I'm supporsed to install this or not.

The README.FreeBSD for the threads says that I shouldn't use libc_r with the
linuxthreads port and seems to imply that it already has the threading in
that library, which begs the question of why not just use libc_r in the first
place?

So color me a bit confused . . .

> > I'm trying to build qt because the configure for kdebase (which is what I
> > started with, though I gather I should have started with kdelib, and will
> > do so next time) claimed that I didn't have a valid qt library.
>
> qt -> kdelibs -> kdebase
>
> > But when I try to build qt, I get this:
> >
> > g++ -L/usr/local/k2b/work/qt-2.3.1/lib
> > -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/k2b/work/qt-2.3.1/lib   -o
> > /usr/local/k2b/work/qt-2.3.1/bin/uic uic.o  ../shared/widgetdatabase.o
> > ../shared/domtool.o  ../integration/kdevelop/kdewidgets.o
> > -L/usr/local/k2b/work/qt-2.3.1/lib -lqutil -L../lib -lqt
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
>
> You have a openGL library that is linked against libpthread.so but you
> dont have it installed.
>
> > My guess is that there's a library someplace that defines these, or I
> > have an obsolete version of a library, but I don't really have a clue
> > where to look.
> >
> > (And I tried using gmake, as per another poster building on FreeBSD, but
> > no dice.)
>
> You do need gmake but you can save yourself a lot of problems if you use
> the ports...

Yes, another correspondent just clued me in that ports for 2.2 *are*
available.  I looked at FreeBSD for them but actually they were staring me in
the face all along; in the directories called bsd-port.

Don't I feel silly.  Wish I'd noticed that to start with.