Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:13:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Arnaute <non_secure@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for a graceful way to disable BG fsck ?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Jason Arnaute wrote:

> Because if I miss it, I'm screwed - you can't kill a BG fsck, and you can't
> reboot the system while a BG fsck is going on.  So then you have to reset it
> again, which is scary because you've got a dirty filesystem, while being
> fsck'd, and then you dirty it up some more.

I'm not very informed on the rest of the issues here, but I can say that
killing bgfsck is entirely possible.  Send the fsck_ufs processes TERM
signals, and then wait a bit and they will exit.  I believe they finish
whatever the current task they are working on is, then release the snapshot
which can take a bit to free.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge