Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:15:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dorin H <bj93542@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   delete first partition XP and reformat as ufs -> kernel not found

Hi there,
  How can I delete an existing XP partition on the
same disk with FreeBSD and reformat it as ufs, then
move /usr to it? (keeping the FreeBSD bootable :))
  Running FreeBSD 4.8.

  My attempts produce a unbootable FreeBSD (invalid
partition, from which point I am unable to specify the
slice from where to extract the kernel).
  I had a similar problem when I installed Debian in
some free middle space, and once the Linux partitions
where recognized, the identifier for FreeBSD partition
(being last) switched from ad0s2 to ad0s4. I solved at
that time the problem by booting FIXIT cd and manually
update /etc/fstab entry for root to point to new slice
id.

  Any suggestions, please? Any references on the
subject are welcomed. Thank you,

/Dorin.