Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:03:21 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu'" <gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: back orifice

>So I did a web search and found out about it: it's a freeware remote
>access tool for windows 95+, and there is in fact a *nix client
>for it.  I'm wondering whether this works as well as it sounds on
>FreeBSD.  Has anyone tried it?

I haven't tried it myself, but I know it can be a MAJOR security hole.
Anyone which has the client can scan the net for listening ports of
the BackOrifice server.  From there they can gain access to the
machine.  So unless you have your Win95 machines behind a
firewall that blocks portscans of the affected ports (or even more
added security features) I'd strongly recommend not to install it.
That is, if the server doesn't have the ability to deny connections
from untrusted IP's.

Good luck!

Manu