Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:59:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Walter Betancourt <walt@betan.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum

Vinum's definitely been the way to go for me.  I have a 12 18 GB disk
array with Vinum RAID 0 on it, and I've never had a problem.  Greg (the
author) is also a great support resource.

However, it's definitely not the _only_ way to go.  I hear quite a few
people are using hardware (both IDE and SCSI RAID) controllers in FreeBSD
with very good results.  I've personally installed FreeBSD 4.3-stable on a
Dell PERC RAID controller, and it worked rather nicely.  Honestly, I
haven't done any speed comparisons between Vinum and hardware RAID.  The
only downside I have seen is that I don't think you can boot from Vinum
yet, where as you can from hardware controllers.

Joe