Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:23:11 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/bind FREEBSD-Xlist

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 05:14:03PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> What about going to v9.x? At least for -current, although looking at
> the security history of 8.x, I think we should really think about
> doing it even for -stable. Leave the bind8 port for those guys that
> need some of its features.

That's something that is worthy of being discussed.  Personally, I use
BIND 9.  But I know many people still run BIND 8 --- including heavy
hitters like the root name servers operators.

FWIW, I stepped in to update BIND to 8.3.1-REL as Security Officer,
because of recent security bug fixes.  In other words, I did it to fix
something broken.  Moving to BIND 9 is a feature enhancement that will
require work on the part of our users.  I'd like to see some
discussion about the tradeoffs before we decide to make such a move.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos