Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:54:33 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        fpineda <fpineda@live.com.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Periodic maintenaince

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 02:04:21PM -0800, fpineda wrote:
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
> I like to know how can I optimize the execution about periodic daily. I k=
now
> periodic execute is a set of scripts, but I have some problems with a
> sepecific script: 450.status-security.
>=20
> When this script is running by periodic_daily on cron, take some time to =
end
> and many times cause network errors like lost packets or timeouts. When t=
he
> script is executing I saw with top command that generate a procces called
> "find" and it take all CPU resources while 450.status-security is executi=
ng.
>=20
> How can I optimize this script?

This scripts calls /usr/sbin/periodic, which then executes all the scripts =
in
/etc/periodic/security.=20

With the command 'grep find /etc/periodic/security/*', you'll find that thr=
ee
scripts contain a find command;
- /etc/periodic/security/100.chksetuid
- /etc/periodic/security/800.loginfail
- /etc/periodic/security/900.tcpwrap

What you could do is prepend the find(1) commands with the nice(1) command,=
give the find commands lower priority. E.g. 'find -bla' then becomes
'/usr/bin/nice -n 19 find -bla'.=20

Roland
--=20

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L