Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:17:59 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gateway? (I read all TFM's - really!)

On Monday 24 September 2001 12:33 pm, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Joe Clarke wrote:
> > Did you put the following in /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > gateway_enable="YES"
> >
> > on big?
>
> Yes!
>
> > What do you have configured on small with reagrds to /etc/resolv.conf
> > (i.e. DNS servers)?
>
> domain pukruppa.de
> nameserver 192.168.10.1
>
> (My machines' full names are small.pukruppa.de and
> big.pukruppa.de , these names also can be pinged by both.)

one possible (more subtle than the other solutions posted; check those
first)answer.  With that nameserver setup, you DO need to be running some
form of DNS server on big.  On my home network, I use my provider's DNS as
the nameserver on all my machines. (actually, I use two of theirs, and a
third, becuase they are notorious for DNS problems...but that;s another issue
entirely).  One way to check for this is to ping an outside address using
just the IP. (use nslookup on big if you have to).

Also, you can check if NAT/firewalling is working correctly, or blocking your
packets, but pinging each interface of big from small.  If you can ping the
rl1 interface, but not the rl0 or tun0 interface, either gateway isn't
working, NAT isn't working (although pinging the outside interface should be
possible even without NAT) or your firewall rules on big are blocking the
packets.

mike