Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 00:29:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        marcs@znep.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel wishlist for web server performance

Marc Slemko said:

> Decent kernel threads.

Definitely in FreeBSD V3.0.  John Birrell and I are doing them.
(I have been holding up progress, but will really be in 3.0).

> Async IO (AIO) stuff that works for sockets.

Definitely in FreeBSD V3.0.  It is already in -current, modulo 1 or 2
minor bugs, and is already being used by a big database mfg.  The
FreeBSD AIO API works for every file descriptor, and optimizations can
be added incrementally.

> A sendfile() (eg. HPUX 11.x) or TransmitFile (eg. WinNT) system call.

???? More info ????

> An efficient poll().

Don't know.