Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:34:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay <jay@oneway.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   .nfs files, what causes them and why do they hang around?

Good Afternoon,

	I have a fairly high-traffic NFS server running FreeBSD 2.2.6
using nfsv3 to all FreeBSD 2.2.6 clients. One of the things that I notice
on it is that there are hundreds of .nfsA3d7a4.4 files hanging around.  I
know that these are some type of nfs temporary files, and that they are
normally supposed to be removed, but I have some on there from August
17th.  I have removed them without problem before, but I am curious as to
what is causing them, and wondering if it is related to another problem we
are having.  These .nfs files often contain all the information that
certain lockfiles are supposed to contain.  Since the lockfiles should
only exist for a second or two, I don't know if the lockfiles are actually
being created or not, and that scares me a bit.  Can anyone shed some
light on this for me?

Also, The NFS network is isolated and used only for NFS...  are there any
options (NFSv2, udp/tcp, etc) that would be beneficial to use?

Thanks in advance,

Jay K.