Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:07:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
Subject:   Re: Linux is better than FreeBSD on X?

This is my machine at school, the school provided these machines
to us and I do not really have any extra money to buy something
right now. But the issue is not about a conflict because this card
works perfectly on NT and Linux (Well we had some difficulties on
linux too but it is working fine now) But FreeBSD! it never worked
in better resolutions than 800x600 which is very low...

I've had plenty of situations where something that worked fine in one
operating system gave all sorts of problems in another ....  always found
the most expedient solution was to replace suspect parts rather than spend
excessive time worrying about something that was probably beyond my ability to sort out anyway .... but then my object is usually to get the thing doing what I want in the minimum time & with the minimum of trouble, rather than knowing all the ins & outs

This is the case that I cant change my graphics card but I can change my operating system! Linux seems to be more compatible somehow I was thinking that the X is the same so it should work on both Linux and FreeBSD but...

I've been there done that with linux, but its extremely unlikely I'll use a linux again ..... I don't have the patience or the inclination to cope with the totally unintelligible documentation, the fanatic attitude of the faithful, and the instability (KDE locked up periodically ..... had to turn power off to unlock it & consequently re-install the whole thing). My present BSD installation is a CLI mode setup running a gateway/router/server and doing a good job (but thats its forte' ) .... I use Win98 / WinNT4 / 2000 / Solaris/ SCO on other machines as each of them has its own particular use & advantage in certain applications.

I even tried to download precompiled binaries of 3.3.5 from XFre86.org
and source code and compile it on my machine nothing happened.

Also here my friend who is using Linux is very happy that FreeBSD
is not good with X and Linux is working fine :(

Well I've yet to hear one adverse comment on linux f