Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 00:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        kde-devel@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Ronald Kuehn <kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de>
Subject:   Re: KDE2 and konsole_grantpty (Was: Re: More on Session hangs ... )

> okay, this might make sense to someone out there ... looking at
> konsole_grantpty, the fod that is failing appears to be:
>
>   pty = ttyname(PTY_FILENO);          /* posix */
>   if (pty == NULL)
>   {
>     fprintf(stderr,"%s: cannot determine the name of device.\n",argv[0]);
>     return 1; /* FAIL */
>   }
>   close(PTY_FILENO);
>
> where PTY_FILENO is hardcoded as 3:
>
> #define PTY_FILENO 3    /* keep in sync with grantpty */
>
> What does the 3 signify?  Is this something specific to Linux that needs
> to be set to a different value for *BSD (and, apparently, UnixWare7)?

I searched the Web for "PTY_FILENO" and found
http://www.draper.net/glibc-2.1/S/login%20programs%20pt_chown.c.html .
It's a daemon that comes with the GNU C library that seems to do the same
thing that konsole_grantpty is for.  PTY_FILENO is defined in the
accompanying pty-private.h
(http://www.draper.net/glibc-2.1/S/login%20pty-private.h.html) which says:

  27 /* The file descriptor connected to the master pseudo terminal.  */
  28 #define PTY_FILENO 3

At
http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/Emacs_found_to_contain_several_security_vulnerabilities__eavesdrop__tmp__password_.html
I read:

        For FreeBSD, an enhancement to openpty() has been proposed which
        sets proper permissions on the slave TTY device (see problem
        report bin/9770). The proposal has yet to be adopted, though.

I added Ronald Kuehn, who submitted the PR, to the CC line.  I only took a
cursory look at his program, but it seems to serve a similar function to
konsole_grantpty or pt_chown, except that he wrote it especially for
FreeBSD.  I guess most of the Linux folks can use UNIX 98 ptys
(http://www.unix-systems.org/single_unix_specification_v2/xsh/grantpt.html)
now, and don't need such daemons.
--
Trevor Johnson