Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:05:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Mahoney <dmahoney@pe.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q. re. login.conf and Apache problems

I'm having some adventures with my Apache server
running on FreeBSD 2.2.8 (Celeron 333 w/cache,
256 MB RAM).  Some of my web users are unable to
run banner rotation CGI scripts - they keep getting
messages like :

[Fri Jan 29 18:19:42 1999] [error] [client 209.122.252.24]
(35)Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child
process: /u1/delay/www/centralad/getimage.cgi

(editted to fit).  httpd runs as user nobody, and I've
created a new class in /etc/login.conf called "web" and
assigned "nobody" to it (using "chsh nobody"). In the
definitions for class web I've set really high limits
on maxprocesses and memoryuse, but it hasn't helped
the problem - still get that blasted error message.

I suspect I'm overlooking something basic - anyone have
any pointers?  And while we're at it, what effect will
I see if I manipulate the limits on datasize, stacksize,
memoryuse, memorylocked, maxprocesses, amd openfiles?

FWIW, I *have* searched the mailing list archive, I
*have* put "limits -u unlimited" in my apachectl, and
tried just about everything else I could think of.

Dan Mahoney
dmahoney@pe.net