Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:19:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crash before BTX

> > > The specs of the servers are as following:
> > >    Intel G440GX+ mainboard
> > >    Intel PRO 100+ Server NIC x2
> > >    SRCU21 RAID Controller
> >
> > Well, it is dying in your RAID adapter's BIOS, since cs=0xca80.  I'll have
> > to sit down and figure out what instruction it is dying on though.  I'll
> > try to get to this later on today.
>
> Ok.  Your RAID adapter is doing very bad things:
>
> 00000000  260F0114          lgdt [es:si]
> 00000004  0F20C0            mov eax,cr0
> 00000007  0CFF              or al,0xff
> 00000009  0F22C0            mov cr0,eax
> 0000000C  EB00              jmp short 0xe
> 0000000E  B81010            mov ax,0x1010
>
> Basically, it is trying to enter protected mode in its BIOS.  However,
> the BTX is already in protected mode, which is why this fails.  Your
> adapter is _supposed_ to be using BIOS calls to do whatever it is trying
> to do, _not_ doing this on its own.  You probably need to bug the vendor
> of your RAID adapter to see if they have a workaround for this, or if they
> are even aware of the problem, unless Mike has a better idea.  Mike?

I've got a SRCU21 waiting for me in the office, but with my car off the
road I'm not going to get it until next week.

The SRCU21 is not supported at this time - it's a pure I2O device and we
don't have device support for these guys yet.  I'm going to try to do
someting with it, but I need a *decent* technical contact at Intel to
make this happen right.  I'll have to smack them for this too. 8)

I would pull it out and use a Mylex eXtremeRAID 1100 (if you need a
production solution Right Now), or if you have a week or two to burn this
guy in and want to help me out, get a Mylex AcceleRAID 170 (this is a nice
controller, boys and girls) and help me sort out the kinks in the 'mly'
driver.