Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:45:18 +0100
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rob@ControlQ.com
Subject:   Re: Status?

> ... and it lay in limbo until a student in
> Italy, Paolo DeFrancesco, took a Quixotic run at the project ... as the
> list has been silent for some time on the matter, I consider it a closed
> issue, but that is JUST my opinion 8-}.

Just to explain, sorry if someone will not be pleasead by this message.

I tried to organize the work. I made a list with every developer
interested in the work (what he/she could do, hardware avaible, skills,
etc.), and documents about the problems in developing on a new platform
(what you need to start, where to start, which compiler to use, which
books, etc.)

Now I don't consider my past work "Quixotic". My opinion is "if you want
to help developers, write docs how to do things". So this is why I tried
to start writing docs.

Sorry, but I don't see anything "Quixotic" in my past work.

> Jordan Hubbard has made some very lucid statements regarding the
> difficulty of supporting multiple hardware platforms, as well as

About the kernel. My _personal_ opinion is kernel coding is easier with
a one-package approach (linux). But this is _my_ opinion.

My _personal_ idea was to start with a base (light?) kernel to play
with. So conceptually you could start coding, to understand where the
problems were. _Then_ (when ready to start serious coding) apply the
ideas to the current tree.

> misrepresenting ones self as a representative of the FreeBSD project when
> asking hardware vendors for support (ie:  don't).

About the "please support us" topic. I asked _if_ Sun wanted to support
us in this effort and if not why. It is too long explain the discussion,
but the conclusion is "no, Sun will not support us, and don't ask".

What I asked for were _docs_. If you need to write code, you need to
know "how it works".

> OpenBSD and NetBSD both work on 32 bit sparc ... I guess that's where
> we'll have to look for the near term.

About platforms. Personally, I'm not interested in Sparc32. If I'll
spend time on sparc coding I'll do it on sparc64.

If you are interested in sparc32 coding, do it. 8)

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...