Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        anders@wax.nu
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix vs sendmail (or qmail)

> I'm looking into postfix as a replacement for sendmail on my company's
> mailserver.. and all i hear about postfix is that it is better than qmail
> and sendmail..
> Anyone of another opinion here? What (if anything) can sendmail do that
> postfix can't?

	i have used both sendmail (6 years) and postfix (1 year).

	sendmail can rewrite headers and envelopes in ways that
postfix can not at this time.  sendmail allows you to define
additional mailers that can literally do anything to the mail.
sendmail is much more flexible and powerful in these ways.

	postfix delivers mail wonderfully.  answers the needs of most
servers and is simpler.   the cost of the simplicity is a loss of
power and flexibility.

	they are different tools.  both are very useful.  pick the
tool that best matches your needs.  that may be both!  you might use
sendmail to process the mail and perform extensive rewriting before
sendmail gives it to postfix for final delivery.

jmb