Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 10:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Benjamin Gavin <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD and non-UDP/TCP packets

Hi,

--- Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> <<On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:33:38 -0700 (PDT), Benjamin Gavin
> <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com> said:
>
> >   Hmmmm...  I may be going braindead (P.S.  What's an SA?), but will
> this
>
> Security Association.  IPSEC cryptographic parameters are indexed on
> both endpoints using the tuple <source-IP,dest-IP,SAID>, so if you
> change either address you have irretrievably corrupted the packet.
> (The fact that IPSEC can't be NAT'ed is considered by many people to
> be a Good Thing.)

  I was wondering if this was the case.  It looks like this will cause a
major problem :(.  It looks like their are some conflicting interests in
my current setup (i.e.  Wanting to be able to access a tunnel from behind
a NATing firewall, and not wanting to terminate the tunnel on the firewall
itself.)

> > be possible on the same firewall box??  How will the routing work,
> > know if it will apply to this problem :( ).
>
> I can't parse this.

  Hmm, that doesn't make much sense does it :).  I mean this:

1.  I've setup server to server tunnels to connect 2 networks before, this
works great and accomplishes one of the goals of my setup => secure
communications between the two networks.

2.  Server-to-Server tunnels is not a viable solution for my current
problem.  Because there may be many customers which want to use tunnelling
for remote access, and since customer network numbers may (and cuurently
do) collide, I need a solution which allows the clients (on our network)
to initiate the connection (to the remote endpoint) through our NATing
firewall. =>  This doesn't seem to be possible using IPSEC tunnels (i.e.
Cisco's SafeNET VPN).

  It appears that these two constraints are mutually exclusive.  I can't
NAT IPSEC tunnels, and I can't allow generic server-to-server tunnelling.
I just wanted to verify that this is the case, so I didn't spend hours
going down a dead end.

> >   It may be appropriate to include (which I missed in my original
> message)
> > that I am running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE (mentioned earlier), and that I
> > am
>
> You'll need the KAME kit for FreeBSD 3.5 in order to terminate an
> IPSEC tunnel there.

  Thanks,  I'll take a look at this.

Ben Gavin