Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:34:20 -0700
From:      Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Make a bootable NON install CDROM

What I am trying to do:=0D	My primary goal is creating a =
bullet-proof nameserver.=0D	One in which files in /, /etc, and /usr =
cannnot be changed.=0D	Hopefully this will make it very difficult to =
hack/subvert.=0D	Another goal is to put togather a 'surf =
station'; basically=0D	a kiosk with a network connection and a browser =
for student=0D	use.  Something our students can't =
hurt/break/subvert/crash=0D	without a hammer.=0D=0DThis is what I =
plan to do:=0D	Non-volatile files are to be on CD-rom:=0D		=
/=0D		/etc=0D		/usr.=0D	=0D	Volatile files =
will be on a hard disk:=0D		swap=0D		/var mounted no =
execute.=0D	=0DI have read the Torito specs.=0DI have installed =
mkisofs.=0DI have surfed for hints on the web.=0DI have scoured the =
FreeBSD sight for hints.=0DEarlier I posted to this group and received a =
few=0Dresponses.  Most wished me luck and asked me to write=0Da HOWTO =
when I figured it out.  A couple made some suggestions=0Dbut so far not =
a lot of luck!?=0D=0DI have configured a RUNNING system, created an iso =
image=0Dwith necessary changes to /etc/fstab and /etc/rc,=0Dand burned =
several cd's.  Some of them booted, but=0Dtried to put me into the =
installation process.  Bummer.=0DWhen I aborted the installation I was =
actually running off the=0DCD so I am on the right track.  I just need =
to get the boot=0Dprocess so it will work without operator intervention. =
 What=0DI want is for the "boot from the CD process" to be functionally=0D=
equivalent to the "boot from the Hard Disk process" of my=0Dconfigured =
system.=0D=0DI DON'T want to make an install cd, I buy those.  I want to=0D=
make a bootable cd of a running/configured system.=0D=0DThe only boot =
program I could find to put on the cd that=0Dwould actually allow the cd =
to boot was boot.flp, which=0Dof course plunges me into the install.=0D=0D=
Still searching for clues?=0D=0Dhal=0D=0DPS.	Am I asking this =
question of the correct group?=0D	Should I be asking the hackers =
group?  Their charter=0D	seems to imply not.=