Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:15:47 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp errors

"Salmons, Michael" <SalmonsM@missouri.edu> wrote:

>I've keyword searched the archives of this and other lists, Usenet and =
web
>at large, and I have not found anything close to this problem (except a
>question asked by a guy who did not include any system files in his post=
 and
>apparently was not heard from again). So here goes... I am trying to =
enable
>user ppp via modem on my recently created freebsd system. I installed a
>standard OS (typical user + X Windows). I even used ppp via modem to =
install
>the OS itself, so in theory ppp via modem should be possible on this =
system!
>Here's what I get when in invoke ppp:

ppp with no arguments starts ppp in interactive mode.

try ppp -auto demand (or interactive, or call the sections by ISP names =
eg:
     wol:
      set authname username
      set authkey password
      set phone 1231234
      set timeout 300
      set openmode active
      accept chap
      set ifaddr 127.1.1.1/0 127.2.2.2/0 255.255.255.0
      add 0 0 127.2.2.2
         =20
and then start ppp with ppp -auto wol

man ppp tells you about other options as well, on the first page.

>deflink: entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1
>
>(never mind the fact my modem is on cuaa0 as specified in ppp.conf...)
>of course it is no use trying to use interactive mode since it is =
looking at
>the wrong port.

I think you can set device /dev/cuaa0 in interactive, by typing it in.

A quick scan of your ppp.conf looks fine to me.

Good luck
John.