Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:30:02 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Jeremy Falcon <jeremy@intersurf.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gateway

Egads! Yet again I did not read closely enough! Need..more..coffee..!

This description is for user ppp. Sorry, I've never used kernel ppp.
Still, some new users may find it useful. Of course they should also
read:

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/book.html

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment,
Walter Brameld wrote: > On Wed, 08 Mar 2000, in a never-ending search
for enlightenment, Jeremy Falcon wrote: > > I'm running FreeBSD
3.3-RELEASE, and I'm trying to get it to act as a gateway > > for my
Windows 2000 box.  I can get online fine from my FreeBSD using Kernel >
> [...]
> > should use 'ppp -alias' to allow this, but that is for user PPP.
> >
> > Also, I used ms_dns in /etc/ppp/options (using my ISPs DNS servers)...
> >
> > ms_dns     "216.115.128.33"
> > ms_dns     "216.115.128.10"
> >
> > ... I'm about to try it without the quotes
> >
> > As far as I'm aware the LAN is ok, because I can telnet, ftp, ping, etc. to
> > each computer, but my Windows box can't see the outside world when my FreeBSD
> > box is online.
> >
> > Could someone please guide me in the right direction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeremy L. Falcon
>
> Givens:
>
> Boxes                   ip addresses            interface
> -----------------------------------
> my.box.domain       192.168.0.1              Intel fxp0
> his.box.domain       192.168.0.2
> her.box.domain       192.168.0.3
>
> ISP DNS Servers
> -------------
> 216.115.128.33
> 216.115.128.10
>
> Modem on /dev/cuaa0
>
> File /etc/rc.conf:
>
> hostname="my.box.domain"
> network_interfaces="lo0 fxp0"
> ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> gateway_enable="yes"
>
> File /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1           localhost
> 192.168.0.1       my.box.domain my
> 192.168.0.2       his.box.domain his
> 192.168.0.3       her.box.domain her
>
> File /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
>
> default:
>
>  set device /dev/cuaa0
>
>  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
>  set speed 115200
>  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>
>  set timeout 120
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
>  add default HISADDR
>  enable dns # <- You missing this? Very important.
>
> twave1:  # I happen to use The Wave for an ISP, hence the label name.
>
>  set phone xxxxxxx
>  set authname username
>  set authkey password
>
> You may want to look into the files ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown on your
> own. This SHOULD get you up and running. For a persistent connection,
> use the command:
>
> ppp -ddial -nat twave1
>
> For on-demand, I believe it's:
>
> ppp -auto -nat twave1
>
> If you get tired of doing it manually, put these lines in /etc/rc.conf
> and that sucker will run itself automagically on boot-up:
>
> ppp_enable="YES"
> ppp_mode="ddial" # <- or "auto"
> ppp_nat="YES"
> ppp_profile="twave1"
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Walter Brameld
>
> Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
> Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
> BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?

Walter Brameld