Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:50:30 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrey Simonenko <simon@simon.org.ua>
To:        Jon Drukman <jsd@cluttered.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nlist failed /boot/loader

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jon Drukman wrote:

> At 02:35 PM 12/4/2001 +0300, Andrey Simonenko wrote:
>
> >2. The kernel of your system and some of binaries on your system can be
> >not synced, that is someone could just update only kernel and didn't update
> >other parts of the system.
>
> i assumed they just did a full install off the CD, but who knows.  i
> rebuilt the kernel from source - same problem.  i tried to recompile top
> but i get this error:
>
>  > pwd
> /usr/src/usr.bin/top
>  > make
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/usr.bin/top
> make: don't know how to make top.local.h. Stop
>
> what does that mean??

Run following in the /usr/src/usr.bin/top directory:

# make clean
# make depend
# make

If you don't see "BTX loader..." when you startup FreeBSD, then your
system skips somehow loader(8). In any way, it is better to CVSupyour
system to newest STABLE branche and "make buildworld/installworld".

You don't tell version of you installation (or may be I missed this), but
if you have 4.x then upgrading to newest STABLE branch should not be a
problem, also don't forget to update /etc content (mergemaster -a command
helps you).