Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 06:10:11 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@cavecreek.net
Subject:   Re: MAXLOGNAME and UT_NAMESIZE

The following worked for me :

1. change settings in :
   UT_NAMESIZE=16 in /usr/src/include/utmp.h

MAXLOGNAME=18 in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h

2. make world : there's a good article at
   http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

But basically if you have a new box :
- edit /etc/make.conf (first make a
copy to /etc/make.conf.dist) …
- Drop to single user mode with #shutdown now
- # cd /usr/obj and remove
anything there
- # cd /usr/src
- # make buildworld
- # make
installworld
This does not update configuration files.. only the binaries
and programs themselves. See the webpage on making world for
details of how to compare config files.

3. Remove utmp and wtmp.
   See 'man utmp' and 'man wtmp' for details… but basically you
   have to remove these since the database structure might change
   with the long usernames. I didn't have a wtmp file but did the
   following on utmp :
   # mv /var/run/utmp /var/run/utmp.back
   # touch
/var/run/utmp"

All of this is somewhere in the archives already.
(Thanks to Studded for putting me on the right path
when I had to do this.)

Looks like you haven't done make world.

So far, nothing's fallen apart on my machine so hope it works for you !

chas

ps. don't forget to edit adduser and other scripts.

pps. you probably don't want to be cross posting ISP and Questions