Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:08:19 +0700
From:      OutBackDingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Markus Mueller <casparos@yahoo.de>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: own OS-Name

Take this advice very seriously from someone who has already
done this effectively, you wount be able to accomplish this
yourself, it will take months, and more then just a few good c
coders to accomplish. its really a bad idea for what little you
gain versus the amount of work involved.

On Thursday 31 July 2008 18:55:15 Bill Moran wrote:
> > I will create my own *BSD OS based on FreeBSD.
> > How can I change the Name of this OS ?
> > I mean, that in Logfiles, for example, of servers, which I
connect by
> > sufing in the web and in application which locate the OS
instead
> > "FREEBSD" an another OS-Name "MyOS-Name" will be
displayed.

> In addition to Giorgos' answer, there are tools, such as
nmap, that
> identify the OS by it's behaviour and not by any string that
appears
> anywhere.  In order to convince those tools that your OS is
not
> FreeBSD, you'll have to alter the IP code to cause it to
behave in
> a manner that is unique.  Good luck doing _that_ without
breaking