Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:30:15 -0600
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp filters - question

I'm running:
FreeBSD proxy 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0:
Mon Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT 2000
root@monster.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386

In the tutorial in the online handbook for ppp,
I am trying to understand the example of the
ppp filters.  In addition, I have disabled
inetd so no ftp, telnet.... for security sake.
In the example filters, it shows ftp packets
in and out.  Since ftp is not running on my
box, the network users can still ftp other
hosts on the internet ?

Also, in the from/to local section, does
this just allow nodes on my private net
to pass packets to the internet ?

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused about
services I've removed from my gateway,
and packets of the type (ie, ftp is
not an available service on my gateway machine,
but I want my network users to be able to
ftp to machines on the internet).

Thanks,
Darryl

#
# Allow telnet connection to the Internet
# set filter in 1 permit tcp src eq 23 estab
set filter out 1 permit tcp dst eq 23
#
# Allow ftp access to the Internet
#
set filter in 2 permit tcp src eq 21 estab
set filter out 2 permit tcp dst eq 21
set filter in 3 permit tcp src eq 20 dst gt 1023
set filter out 3 permit tcp dst eq 20
set filter in 5 permit tcp src eq 53
set filter out 5 permit tcp dst eq 53
#
# Allow access from/to local network
#
 set filter in 6 permit 0/0 192.168.1.0/24
set filter out 6 permit 192.168.1.0/24 0/0