Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 04:32:06 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, kpneal@pobox.com
Subject:   Re: Login and auto executes

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:38:28 +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> kpneal@pobox.com:
> > On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 11:26:22AM +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> >
> > Are you certain that these files are in the right home directory? They
> > need to be in the directory that is listed in /etc/passwd for your account.
> > I ask because you said "folder", but the correct term is "directory". You
> > aren't, say, putting these files in the base of a network share instead
> > of your /etc/passwd home directory?
>
> Jep, I put them in the correct folder.

Directory. :-)

> I solved it by using the .login file with the appropiate commands.

But that suggests you aren't using bash, but csh? From "man csh",
section FILES:

       ~/.login        Read  by  login  shells  after ~/.tcshrc or ~/.history.
                       The shell may  be  compiled  to  read  ~/.login  before
                       instead of after ~/.tcshrc and ~/.history; see the ver-
                       sion shell variable.

Note that .login is in csh syntax, not (ba)sh syntax. In case
you want to use sh syntax for a login-time startup script, just
call it from ~/.login via something like "/bin/sh ~/.sh.login"
or  "/usr/local/bin/bash ~/.bash.login" (if you require bash-isms
which sh does not support).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany