Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:17:33 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

On Wednesday,  2 February 2000 at  5:55:07 -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2000 6:07 PM Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Putting aside politics, copyrights etc., can BSD rightly be called
>>> Unix? So my question then begs another: What are the ``core''
>>> characteristics identifying an OS as Unix? How does BSD deviate from
>>> these?
>>
>> This is very much a matter of definition.  Recall that BSD one *was*
>> called BSD UNIX, which I think is a very good reason to believe that
>> the only reasons are because of copyright.  Those were the reasons
>> given in the "cease and desist" notices from USL, anyway.  On the
>> other hand, things like the Single UNIX Specification and UNIX 95%
>> contain requirements which (IIRC) BSD doesn't fulfil.
>
> Given your last sentence, would it be more accurate to define BSD as
> a Unix-based OS?

I've been trying to find a good, accurate, succinct definition of the
relationship for some time.  I'm still working on it.  The best I can
see at the moment is that BSD is one of the UNIX family, maybe a
disowned son :-)

> By definition, it certainly can't be called a clone, if certain
> components are missing.

I don't agree with that.  Linux was called a clone long before it
offered all the features of UNIX System V.

> Be-that-as-it-may, IMHO BSD appears to have evolved to the point of
> offering the majority of the "key" functionality that Unix offers,
> which are so appealing and necessary in this day-and-age.

It's more the other way round: BSD has typically had more features
than System V.  It's only since the introduction of System V.4
(admittedly a long time ago now) that System V caught up--by
incorporating all the BSD code.

> It's a bit like the early '80s with PC-DOS w/ Basic A and MSDOS w/o
> -- not quite compatible, but almost ;)

Well, I don't think the comparison quite fits.

Greg