Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:30:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      James Halstead <jah4007@cs.rit.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print cups, which then causes problem

The following reply was made to PR ports/32321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: James Halstead <jah4007@cs.rit.edu>
To: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org,
	gad@freebsd.org, kde@freebsd.org, will@csociety.org,
	leimbacd@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:30:27 -0500

 On Thursday 29 November 2001 01:19 am, Alan Eldridge wrote:

 [...]

 > There oughta be a meta-port, cups, which builds/packages/installs the other
 > two, so someone can still 'cd ports/print/cups && make install' and get
 > what they expect.

 I think leaving the cups port to be the main install, lacking just the bsd
 and system V printing will be a good thing. This way nobody has to change
 their dependency to be 'safe' from clobbering things later.

 > For the libs, headers, and docs: How about cups-libs? cups-runtime?

 If I were to make cups a meta port, and split off both other parts I would
 call the main one cups-base, as that is really what it is.

 > For the lpr-programs: How about cups-lp[r] or cups-lp[r]-bin? That's what
 > it *is*. I think any name should have lp or lpr in the name. I don't like
 > cups-bin because I would expect that the cupsd daemon, being a binary,
 > would be in cups-bin.

 with those two, I would probably go with cups-lpr, or maby something like
 cups-commandline.

 Any votes on the name? More importantly, has anybody tested the new ports? I
 am most curious to know how well it will work without the current named
 cups-bin port.

 James