Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:14:51 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Eric Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] VPN issues with some windows users...

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Eric Crist wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm sorry this is a bit off-topic, but you're the only truly
> knowledgable group I know. ;)  Some fellow users and I have been having
> some issues connecting to a Cisco VPN system with the built-in windows
> VPN software.  While successfully connected to the internet (at home,
> for example), I connect to the remote VPN.  Instantly, my internet
> connectivity seems to be lost, but I can use the VPN perfectly fine.  As
> soon as I disconnect, my internet connectivity is completely restored.
> I have a second VPN I connect to using V-One's SmartPass software, and I
> have no issues (i.e. everything works perfectly, including my 'net
> connection).

It's the VPN default configuration. By default, it tries to send everything
through the VPN.
There should be a checkbox somewhere which says "send everything through
the tunnel" or something like that. Try unchecking that.

Some other VPN clients (Cisco, for example) disalow all traffic other than
the VPN for security reasons. You shouldn't surf the net and use a
VPN to a corporate net at the same time, more so with a windows box ;)

			Fer