Date:      Mon, 30 May 2011 18:48:05 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS install from -CURRENT snapshot
References:  <C3447024DA2BEB7DA3063584@mac-pro.magehandbook.com> <20110529040800.GA44286@sysmon.tcworks.net>	<4DE1EDD8.5050003@FreeBSD.org> <BANLkTim7U0d_oJB9P41OTgjPH5-gi7OxbA@mail.gmail.com> <3E1EB5E79BD1A6B775EB8387@mac-pro.magehandbook.com> <4DE3B72F.8030203@digsys.bg> <BANLkTi=9J2i3MzQMPEbedr-p=A9-ui9Epg@mail.gmail.com> <868vtnub8s.fsf@gmail.com> <BANLkTikn7zfH5hbOg_1uRmBUBvDQ-3hqFQ@mail.gmail.com>

--As of May 31, 2011 1:21:49 AM +0300, George Kontostanos is alleged to
have said:

> Bingo! That did it. I will update the guide soon.
>
> @Daniel my apologies it seems that another typo is preventing you from
> booting. You have to set the bootfs in the pool.
>
> zpool set bootfs=zroot zroot

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I'd actually caught that one...  (Yesterday afternoon.)

I was hoping this was something people had seen before.  At this point,
I've been trying to get a FreeBSD+ZFS install on this box for about a month
- including spending much of my first vacation in two years on it - and I
know that even if I do manage to do so I'll still have a problem with the
screen resolution.  (Sandy Bridge integrated graphics.  It works in VERSA
mode, but doesn't detect the native mode.)

I've decided to call it quits for now.  A current Linux runs fine.  The
power management isn't as good as FreeBSD, I'm loosing the ZFS coolness,
and the other advantages of a FreeBSD box over Linux, but it means I've got
a working laptop for the moment.  I'll revisit putting FreeBSD on it
sometime in the future, once the hardware isn't quite so current-edge.  For
now, I've invested too much time into just getting this running.

George, a couple other notes on your walkthrough:  (I'd decided to wait
until I was done to go over all of these.)
cd /tmp && copy -R * /boot    # Needs to be cp.
zpool create -O mountpoint=/mnt zroot /dev/gpt/disk0     # Will avoid the
export/import later.

And in theory it doesn't make *much* difference, but setting the checksum
before creating usr, var, and tmp is slightly better practice.  (The
directory entries are checksummed as well, which would be the only
difference.  If any files were created in between they'd get the fletcher2
checksum.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.