Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:27:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-186-101.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        Mik.Thwaite@mis.magna-europa.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logging in as root via telnet

In reply:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm running 2.2.8 on a 486 and I need to be able to modify some of the
> config files as root.
>
> The problem is that I have no monitor connected to the freebsd machine so I
> connect via telnet.
> I first have to log in as a user in group wheel and then su each time.
> Security is not really an issue as it is just a development machine.

regardless of your local lax security, i highly suggest using ssh, and
even then login as yourself and use su.

as far as "it's just a development system", keep in mind that 99% of
corporate espionage is targeted at decelopment systems, not production
systems.

using ssh won't hurt you, and will in fact help you, the time for more
security is when you don't think you need any.  you don't leave your
keys in the car, or the front door to your house unlocked, do you?
nothing is wrong with using precautions.

it doesn't take too much effort to van eck a lan.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or