Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:41:53 -0600
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

In article <199610151816.UAA01759@SandBox.CyberCity.dk>,
Soren Schmidt <sos@SandBox.CyberCity.dk> wrote:
>to do SVR4 emulation we will NEED a way to tell them apart. So having
>a nice little util that marks the ELF header in ways for us to know
>is the ONLY solution to this problem, like it or not.=20

I am not familiar with ELF in particular, but other modern binary file
formats (IFF, MFF, PNG, even GIF) support a mechanism for adding entries
to the file without having to understand the file's content completely.

What's wrong with using a NOTE field. Sure, the binary's size will change
but all the offsets should automagically drop in...